Shopping with a conscience has become more popular with the benefits of talking to the growers, fresher produce & a wonderful feel good shopping atmosphere.
Farmers Markets are growing in both the number of markets available & people going to them for their grocery shop. I have been shopping at Collingwood Children’s Farm Farmers Market for at least the past 7 years, and it’s been very interesting watching the changes over the years – all for the positive (except the parking challenges due to so many shoppers!).
Why go to a Farmers Market?
– Fresh food that generally tastes better, and stays fresher longer
– Food that is in season
– Tips from the grower (cooking, storing, when best eaten)
– Great community atmosphere
– Varies the “shopping rut” of buying & cooking the same foods every week (which opens you to a variety of different nutirents)
Where are your local Farmers Markets?
There’s a whole list to choose from-
What do you need to bring?
– A trolley of some description is very helpful
– Shopping bags
What can you buy there?
Each Farmers Market has a different variety of stalls but you can usually find:
– Fresh vegetables
– Fresh fruit
– Meat (beef, chicken, lamb, venison)
– Fish (smoked salmon & trout)
– Herbs & Spices
– Pastries & Bread
– Nuts & Dried Fruit
– Pastas & Sauces
– Jams & Sauces
– Food to eat there- Breakfast/lunch/snacks & of course great coffee!!
Want to read more? Check out a great article “Buy direct and the food is fresher, the prices better, and the farmers happier” http://www.goodfood.com.au/good-food/food-news/from-farm-gate-to-front-door-20130330-2gzsw.html
Can’t seem to get to a Farmers market, don’t worry there’s now an online Farmers Market!! Check out Farmhouse Direct: http://www.farmhousedirect.com.au/
See you at the Market!!